outside garden tap
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
snowie
Apprentice
Apprentice

outside garden tap

by snowie » Fri May 15, 2009 3:59 pm

I want to fit an outside garden tap as shown here https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/in ... de_tap.htm
However, the house is 4 years old, wood framed, and I believe will have a 'waterproof lining' between the outside brickwork and the inner wooden walls.
If I drill through this waterproof lining, will damp get through the wall?
If so, are there any other suggestions to getting an outside tap?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri May 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Regarding the outside tap, if you want a good flow rate - do not use the tap kit shown in the project section - use 15mm fittings and 15mm pipe to connect direct to the cold mains.

The kit shown cuts a small hole in the pipe, and will take an age to wash the car or fill paddling pool for the kids. The self cutting valve doesn't cut out the piece if copper it pushes it inside - like a flap - and can eventually cause a blockage.

Also make sure the tap you buy incorporates a double check valve - otherwise you will have to fit one to the pipework yourself (water regs).

htg

snowie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by snowie » Sat May 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Thanks for that htg. Some good tips which I will use when I fit this.
However, what is worrying me most, is putting a hole through the wall, the internal wood frame, and more importantly the waterproof membrane.
If I do this, will dampness get through the hole in the membrane?
Cheers

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

by Skids » Sat May 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Snowie

drill the wall and you will break the plastic membrane, if it is that type, check with the house documents to see what wall type you have and check the 10 year builders insurance cover, this should give you more info.

I would say do not drill !!

Regards

Skids

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun May 17, 2009 4:57 pm

I put regarding the outdoor tap - as this is the plumbing forum - and that's what I know.

I wouldn't like to say or guess at the other question about the membrane, although - it's there for a reason and if it was my house - I wouldn't drill through it without expert advice.

htg

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:16 pm