Oven connection
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simoncs
Labourer
Labourer

Oven connection

by simoncs » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:16 am

Hi

Our new oven has turned up with a plug attached via 1.5mm cable.

I have a 6mm cable from the consumer unit (separate circuit) going to an oven switch, then from here to a junction box which will connect the separate hob (also 6mm cable) and the oven.

I guess for completeness I should remove the 1.5mm cable from the oven and use a piece of 6mm? that way the whole lot uses the same cable. Other wise at the junction box the 1.5mm would connect to a 6mm cable.

Does that sound better?

thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:02 am

The plug will have a 13A fuse so it is OK to use the 1.5 mm sq cable. If you are not going to use a plug then it will need a fused connection unit which again will have a 13A fuse. You should not connect the appliance to a large supply without fusing down. If you were not going to use a fuse then the MCB would need changing to smaller one. What size will be given by the manufacturer in their data, if not given then stick to 13A as supplied.

simoncs
Labourer
Labourer

by simoncs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:11 am

thanks ericmark. that makes sense, but i have seen several examples on forums and the web where the oven and hob are connected to the same MCB 32a. There is no room in the consumer unit for another MCB to run the oven at a lower fuse. So that only leaves running a spur from another power outlet (which the dishwasher will plug into) to create a powerpoint for the oven. I just think having the oven on the same circuit as a dishwasher plus other appliances in the kitchen will trip the 20a MCB. Therefore would much prefer to have the oven and hob together.
Is there any other solution? I really don't want to have to put ina new consumer unit just to accommodate this.

thanks

simoncs
Labourer
Labourer

by simoncs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:31 am

should also add - am based in Australia so they don't have fused power outlets either - the MCB is the only trip.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:07 pm

We do use some stuff from your country which comes in a modular form and allows one to mix and match fuse holders, sockets, and switches.

But I would think you need to look on a local forum.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:01 pm