overflow pipes - leaks
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bubukit
Labourer
Labourer

overflow pipes - leaks

by bubukit » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:20 am

I don't know anything about plumbing and I have some probably very stupid questions.
I live in a flat and just want to know how do overflow pipes work and normally where do they connect to inside my flat. If I suspect there is a leak in the overflow pipe but not sure where the leak is, what shall I do?
Thank you very much for any help at all.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:01 pm

See the projects on hot and cold water systems and on cisterns tanks and valves. These should give you some idea of how your water system works. Overflows will (or should) come from toilet cisterns and cold water tanks.

jane hammond
Labourer
Labourer

by jane hammond » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:02 pm

Hello, i would like some advice please.
I have a warm air boiler with two indirect system water storage tanks in the loft. The Smaller header expansion tanker keeps over flowing eventhough ive changed float valves and set them to correct water level. Usually overflow within two days.
Ive traced the problem to the vent pipe in the expansion tank but what is causing the problem and how do i cure it... Thanks :D

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:39 pm

The overflow pipe will either be from a toilet cistern, a water tank or a pressure relief valve from a combi boiler. If your unsure of where the overflow pipe comes from the best thing to do is to check the water levels of the toilet cistern and tanks.

Take off the lid and the water should be approximately 2" below the overflow (the overflow is normally a plastic pipe coming from the top of the cistern or tank)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:48 am