Overview of expected bathroom plumbing - any problems?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mdemetri2
Tradesman
Tradesman

Overview of expected bathroom plumbing - any problems?

by mdemetri2 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:15 pm

Hello All

I have gutted the bathroom and want the following done, can anyone spot any issues or something which can't be done:

N.B. we have internal waste pipes.

Need the bath plumbing in, it is double ended and has taps on the side edge near the wall, the end of the bath butts up to the boxed in internal soild pipe, which in effect will create a tiled shelf at the end of the bath. May utilise existing waste for this or go out through the external wall and into a hopper (is this allowed?), need to run hot and cold supply to bath. Need to take cold feed from under the bath (can pipes be floor mounted under the bath, as apposed to under the floor boards so we have easy access) to feed the electric shower.

Need to supply sink with hot and cold and make new waste pipe (we are siting the sink on a wall that previously did not have sink on it) as the existing waste is all about the floor boards I don’t want to have unsighlty pipes from the sink so want to put the waste pipe under the floor and connect to bath or again go out side and into a hopper.

We want our towel warmer at the end of the bath (above the tiled shelf I mentioned earlier) this means having the radiator pipes sticking out of the wall horizontally (I have the correctly angled valves for this), is it again possible to have these radiator pipes run under the bath as apposed to under the floorboars to allow for easy access?

Last problem is moving the existing waste for the toilet over by say 1/2 to 1ft, I have been told these pipes are stuck together with solvent? Is this an issue? Existing waste for what used to be the sink that connect to the main internal soil pipe need to be capped off (as will the existing waste for the bath, if we decide to go outside with the waste).

Many many thanks.[/url]

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed May 14, 2008 8:01 pm

1. Can re-use any existing waste or connect to hopper as per your suggestion.

2. Solvent waste for bath and basin is larger than push fit so you need to use a compression joint to connect the two. Caps can be obtained for blanking off unused ports on the soilstack.

3. Supply pipework can be floor mounted under bath.

4. Electric shower must be installed by a qualified electrician to comply with new regulations.

5. Do not connect bath and sink wastes together water will bubble up into bath when the basin plug is pulled.

6. Toilet waste is the same size for pushfit and solvent weld. You can shorten it by cutting some off or lengthen it by adding suitable fittings. As it is welded, it cannot be repositioned. Be aware of falls!! If you move the toilet away from the stack, the horizontal pipe will rise probably higher than the outlet of your new toilet.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:14 am

[quote]Need to take cold feed from under the bath ... to feed the electric shower.[/quote]

you can only do this if the bath is mains fed. electric showers must be mains fed to give the volume and pressure that they need.... unless you have sufficient pressure from a cold water storage tank which is highly doubtful. as plumbbob says, a qualified electrician must carry out the electrical work. electric showers can be deadly if not properly installed.

[quote]is it again possible to have these radiator pipes run under the bath as apposed to under the floorboars to allow for easy access? [/quote]

not only possible but makes good sense to have pipework exposed wherever possible. i would ensure that the pipes are clipped to the floor to ensure that there is no movement causing noise and so that the pipes are not in direct contact with the floor. be careful about positioning of the pipes, keep them clear of any areas likely to foul with the bath legs and fittings for the bath panel.

plumbbob:

[quote] 5. Do not connect bath and sink wastes together water will bubble up into bath when the basin plug is pulled. [/quote]

wouldn't an nrv or anti siphon valve resolve this? assuming of course that this would be practical.

[/quote]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:38 am