Paint Flaking off Whilst Painting on new Plaster???
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wattsy077
Labourer
Labourer

Paint Flaking off Whilst Painting on new Plaster???

by Wattsy077 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum and I am desperate to find a way to get this problem sorted. I had the walls in my hall, stairs and landing plastered about 8 months ago. After letting the plaster dry completely for a few weeks, I put 2 coats of paint with water on the walls and ceilings to prime them and haven't touched it since. Now I have come to paint it, whilst rolling on the new paint, the old paint is peeling off. I am assuming it is because there may be dust under the first coats of primer. I have sanded back the affected areas to the plaster, cleaned with a damp sponge, then repainted with a paint and water mix but as soon as the edges of the sanded area get wet they blister again. I don't won't to waste paint and don't really fancy removing all the paint from the entire ceiling or wall that are affected. Any advice would be great!!

thedoctor

Re: Paint Flaking off Whilst Painting on new Plaster???

by thedoctor » Mon May 19, 2014 10:16 am

Hi, you dont say how much water you added. What you are describing is usually the result of too little water. This means the paint cannot soak into the plaster properly to seal it and still sits on the surface of the plaster. Take a look at our page on painting new plaster to see how to seal the walls and ceilings properly.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/pa ... laster.htm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm