Painted Neat Emulsion over new Plaster - Paint now Flaking off
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AKL
Labourer
Labourer

Painted Neat Emulsion over new Plaster - Paint now Flaking off

Post by AKL » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:53 pm

I recently had a wall in my kitchen re-plastered and a damp course done.

Foolishly I painted neat emulsion onto the plaster without doing a mistcoat (I have since realised my grave error from looking online). I also think I have painted the plaster before it was fully dry (we're selling the house and rushed things somewhat!!)

At the very bottom of the wall now the paint is flaking off and at the top of the wall (approx 2 meters up) there are what look like damp patches in the paint (darker patches across the width of the wall).

I've tried Ronseal Damp seal and then painted over this with emulsion twice but the marks still come through.

How can I fix this?? Can I sand back as much as I can to the plaster and then let it dry out and apply mistcoat etc or can I use a primer over the paint already on the wall or can I use a stain seal?

Please help me!!

Tomthejoiner
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Painted Neat Emulsion over new Plaster - Paint now Flaking off

Post by Tomthejoiner » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Can you give a bit more detail about where along the wall these patches are? Any possible source of moisture? It sounds like you're on the right path but better safe than sorry!

AKL
Labourer
Labourer

Post by AKL » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:10 pm

Hello thanks for getting back to me! It's basically all along the length of the wall (approx 3m) and it's about 2m up the wall and 30 cm from the top of the wall, about 30 cm high altogether.

I'm in a ground floor maisonette so it's not the roof as my upstairs neighbour has no problems. Possibly from next door as their house is quite damp apparently.

I've had the front door open all evening and it looks like it's fading already so could be it needs a proper airing out to dry the plaster eventually. Hopefully!

Tomthejoiner
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Tomthejoiner » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:08 pm

Glad it's starting to look positive!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:02 am