Painted room now smells damp.
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
funster
Labourer
Labourer

Painted room now smells damp.

Post by funster » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:04 pm

Please help.

(I did not use Crown paint before you try and direct me to this post, interesting as it is.)

I have recently moved into a bungalow in which I have just decorated the Kids bedroom.

This involved removing wall paper v.hard work. I sealed the walls with PVA/water mix. Added a Polycell Base coat (to cover strong colours) and then 2 coats of Dulux emulsion. Admittedly the emulsion could have been upto 4/5 years old.

The room now smells sort of damp. But the smell seems to eminating from the painted walls.

Before we stripped the paper we had a damp inspection which revealed no more than possible condensation. We have had the windows open pretty much since the room was decorated (except overnight) and everymorning the smell is there, open the window let some air circulate and it goes away, except if you smell the wall a faint aroma.

Is it possible that in stripping the wall paper the walls got oversoaked, and now cannot dry out as I sealed and overpainted them? There are no visible problems with the walls. i.e. flaking/cracking/staining. And the wall paper we removed did not show signs of being damp being that it was extremely well attached.

Anyone any ideas. I think I will try washing with milton I saw that in the 'crown' thread anyone know if that works.

Thanks

Funster

Leroast
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Leroast » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:09 pm

hey funster if your still having problems with this, an answer Polar bear gave in an earlier topic might explain it imo -

[quote="polarbear"]Hi,
Applying a PVA to your newly plastered walls is fine so long as you are intending getting them papered,this is because if you papered newly plastered walls without applying PVA,then the paper would simply fall off after a few weeks simply because the plaster is so porous it soaks all the paste of the paper.
By putting PVA on newly plastered walls and then attempting to paint them is madness,the PVA does exactly what it is supposed to do,make the surface totally non porous,any paint that is put on afterwards(especially silk) as it has the lowest acrylic content of any water based paint simply cracks,or peels of,it is the equivalent of painting tiles with a water based paint.
The best thing to do is try a high quality emulsion with a very high acrylic content such as Colortrend or Zoffany and keep your fingers crossed,if all else fails you will simply have to line the whole surface with lining paper and then paint.
Good Luck and hope this helps.[/quote]

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3569

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am