Painted wooden kitchen units with emulsion undercoat
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dingadongy
Labourer
Labourer

Painted wooden kitchen units with emulsion undercoat

by dingadongy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:49 am

HELP!!!!!

I have made a mistake and just undercoated my kitchen with emulsion. I was trying to save on cost of expensive cupboard paint as I was painting my kitchen in a very light colour from dark.
I have started to paint over with the cupboard paint and now the paint is cracking and coming off.

Is there anything I can do to save my kitchen????

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 am

the paint should come off the cupboards quite easily with some warm water and a gentle scrub.

i'm assuming that your cupboards are finished in melamine? in which case you will need to give them all a good sand prior to priming.

you can buy paints designed for this purpose but in my experience you are just as well to prime with a good quality vinyl emulsion as anything else! no paint really wants to stick to melamine, that's your problem. the surfaces are designed to have non-stick properties.

key is to rub up your cupboards first with sandpaper, thereby increasing your chances of success from 'zero' to 'maybe'.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:32 pm