painting a newly plastered ceiling ,help have messed it up
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
millymoozie
Labourer
Labourer

painting a newly plastered ceiling ,help have messed it up

by millymoozie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:19 pm

hi
please can someone help me ,i am decorating a ceiling that was plastered about a month ago ,stupid me did not read tips before painting & just went full steam ahead with my white emulsion & roller ,its now 4 coats on & there is big ugly dark patches ,looks like ive missed bits everywhere ,tried again today & getting in a worse state & very worried about it ,looks awfull , i did not treat with the 1st coat a watered down solution or any sort of sealant & have just kept adding ,what can i do to solve this ,the textured area' s look so bad ,i am going to buy a brush & give it a go with that ,is it too late to do a watered down solution as ive allready put a covering of paint on ,well several coats ,tut tut ,this will teach me to do my homework before i start ,please tell me i can salvage this somehow
thanks in advance for any help or advice & fingers crossed a solution .
millymoozie

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

Re: painting a newly plastered ceiling ,help have messed it

by JRS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Was the plaster fully dry? Any picture of this? All i can think of is that its not been dry and is leaving a damp area of paint.

happyhour
Labourer
Labourer

by happyhour » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 pm

hi, we have just done the very some thing which is why i decided to log on for help!!!!!!!!!!!! We too did not prime the newly plastered wells in the extension and painted straight on with normal white paint on all walls an ceilings. The plan was to then paint over 2 to 3 coats for the finished look on the ceiling. Not attempted the walls yet. As we are rolling on the paint the pervious layers of paint are peeling off into the roller bringing all the paint layers with it, creating a void in the paint making patches too. We too feel gutted and are devistated that we may now have ploblems forever. Our beautiful kitchen/dinner may now be ruined because stupidly time and cost was playing a big part. Shot ourselves in the foot there i think! Any solutions at all, are welcome. thanks C

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 am

Hi happyhour, you needed to mist coat them first. This is why the paint is peeling off. You will probably be better off scraping the first layer off, it should come off fairly easily as it doesn't sound like it has adhered properly. If you put the second coat on the bare patches without mist coating which it sounds like you have that will probably peel off too. Then you will have your nice new ceiling again. Then sand off any rough bits. After this give the ceiling and walls a mist coat or two, this is a coat of watered down emulsion around 25- 50% water to paint. This will soak into the plaster, seal it and will stop further coats of emulsion from peeling. After doing this give them two further coats of emulsion in in the finish colour. Good luck.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:16 pm