painting external masonary
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ginga
Apprentice
Apprentice

painting external masonary

Post by Ginga » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi All

started painting the outside of my house , using sandtex fine textured , problem is its not textured enough to hide all the blemishes , i have filled and filled but the marks and different finishes still show through , anyone know of a product that will leave a bit of a texture that will cover this

Thanks

Ginga

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

Post by JRS » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Dont get you. What kind of building is it. Rough cast. Brick. You should touch up the area then paint the whole side the same. Personally i dont like sandex its cheap rubbish. I would use dulux or crown strong hold smooth. Dulux are doing a good deal on there trade exterior at the minute.

Ginga
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ginga » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:31 pm

its all rendered but over the years the render had been patched and has cracks , i have filled the cracks and as much of the render as possible now i want a slightly textured paint , not smooth , to hide the filler and different backgrounds , eg new render patches , old painted render and filler . I bought textured sandtex with is a crown product but its not textured enough , hardly at all . so i wondered if any decorators know of a textured paint that will do the job , has anyone use high build paint

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

Post by JRS » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:38 am

Try, when the filler is wet stippling it with a paint brush to give the effect of the render before painting.

gardener really
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gardener really » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:41 am

same problem here. i have rendered walls on a house 107 years old. lots of repairs etc. some walls i have painted look just fine. however a couple of areas needed flaking paint removing and had bare patches that had been repaired when windows were replaced or downpipes moved. existing paint is quite "deep" so i now have a map of the world in these places. clearly i didnt want to keep scraping away at the existing paint or i would have ended up painting bare walls all over and would still be on this job at christmas. i used a smooth paint - perhaps i should have used textured. any ideas on best course of action now ? do i keep repainting the "map" areas to try to "deepen" the paint level to existing levels or use textured paint on those particular areas ?

Masheded
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Masheded » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi,

i see what your saying here fella. Just finished my brothers georgian house sympathetic full renovation. You gotta love that house, cuz "they dont make em like they used to!" thank god. It maybe the answers staring you in the face here......Have you tried getting a shovel full of coarse sand mixiing it with the paint? Youd be suprised, get it to the right consistency you need and give it a go. These are things youd only think of when youvd tryed everything else, and its going to save you trying lots of different products to get more a less the same result. Otherwise, re-render the lot. If you need the texture pretty thick, its worth applying the "sand and paint" with a trowel/scraper and feathering it out with a wet brush.
I know what your up against with these old buildings. They just keep on giving....problems :)

Atb Mash

Ginga
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ginga » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:40 pm

[quote="JRS"]Try, when the filler is wet stippling it with a paint brush to give the effect of the render before painting.[/quote]

dont want to fill the whole house , i wanted to know if anyone knows of a textured product , more textured than sandtex

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

Post by JRS » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Ginga wrote:
JRS wrote:Try, when the filler is wet stippling it with a paint brush to give the effect of the render before painting.

dont want to fill the whole house , i wanted to know if anyone knows of a textured product , more textured than sandtex

You only need to fill the affected area and try make it look similar to existing before painting. filler is easy to shape when wet to give artex effect and so on.

I think sasheed is thinking the walls are wet cast or dry cast if so then fill with cement and throw the loose chippings that have fallen off on to cement as it will be the same course.

I hope this helps.

Ginga
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ginga » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:23 pm

so no one knows of a more textured finish that sandtex textured , that all i want to know

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:26 am