Painting kitchen units (chipboard)
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
benjic
Labourer
Labourer

Painting kitchen units (chipboard)

Post by benjic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi - I have sanded my chipboard kitchen units and now I need to apply primer. I am unsure as to what type of primer (my units have a wood effect but ultimately they are chipboard) I need in order to get a great finish. Any advice would be really appreciated.

I keep reading about melamine - Im not sure if this is what the finish is/ was..........

Many thanks,
Ben

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:55 pm

are you painting directly onto the chipboard? or the laminated surface? if onto laminate then it's almost certainly melamine. International paints do a melamine paint, available at any well-known diy chain. but frankly, no matter what product you are using, melamine is not a substrate that takes kindly to paint not even those specifically designed for the purpose and the results are often less than hoped for.

i'd consider replacing the doors for cheap new ones. got to be better than painting them.

ciaobella
Labourer
Labourer

Post by ciaobella » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:23 am

I am wondering the same thing? Has anyone actually painted the cupboards and what did it look like? If I replace the doors there's still the problem of edging bits which are wooden and would show. So it means a whole new kitchen or painting them...

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:21 pm

as i said in my previous post: " the results are often less than hoped for. i'd consider replacing the doors for cheap new ones. got to be better than painting them."

don't expect it to look fantastic.

femina
Labourer
Labourer

Post by femina » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:46 am

Hi, for my parent’s anniversary I want to get them a family picture on canvas. I was thinking about ordering it online. I decided to get the 18x24 one. Is that a good size for a family portrait? And has anyone ever ordered a canvas digital portrait from wink flash? Is it good quality and good looking? Can I get it framed? And how much would it cost about? Is digital or digital canvas better? Thanks.

femina
Labourer
Labourer

Post by femina » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:51 am

Hi, for my parent’s anniversary I want to get them a family picture on canvas. I was thinking about ordering it online. I decided to get the 18x24 one. Is that a good size for a family portrait? And has anyone ever ordered a canvas digital portrait from wink flash? Is it good quality and good looking? Can I get it framed? And how much would it cost about? Is digital or digital canvas better? Thanks.

femina
Labourer
Labourer

Post by femina » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:53 am

xenie357
Labourer
Labourer

Post by xenie357 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:34 am

I totally agree with you

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:13 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

Post by rigga » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:48 pm

benjic, You should have no problem painting the units so long as you prepare them well, wash down with sugar soap to remove any surface contamination and grease. Apply 1 coat of any proprietary melamine primer.Then I normally give them a coat of zinister bulls eye water based satin finish tinted as close to the finished colour. Finally a coat of oil based unthined eggshell finish in the required colour. All applied with a good quality brush and a soft foam finger roller.

claire27
Labourer
Labourer

Post by claire27 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 pm

I agree you can buy special cupboard paints now. the finish depends on the preparation and follow the instructions carefully.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:56 pm