Painting Mist Coat on to New and Old Plaster

Postby saljia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:40 pm

I know when painting newly skimmed walls that I have to do a mist coat first but... some of the walls/ceilings in my house were skimmed and left unpainted for approx 1 year so are dried out. Should I still do a mist coat or can I go straight to using undiluted matt emulsion? Have done a couple of walls with a mist coat but just wondering if I need to.
saljia
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby TommyPurdyPnD » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:08 am

Absolutely do a mist coat-the drier the plaster the more it'll suck up the water in the paint-I'd use a contract emulsion (armstead etc cheap but not rubbish) 20-25% Dilute otherwise you'll get a flaky, badly adhered, really annoying surface to paint over. Honestly it's really really frustrating picking bits out of your roller.
TommyPurdyPnD
Progress to next rank:
42.1%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!