Painting old tiles
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mandylou
Labourer
Labourer

Painting old tiles

by mandylou » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:49 pm

I have tiles in my bathroom that have been painted with tile paint but I wish to change the colour of these tiles. Can I buy some more tile paint (different colour) and just paint over the original tiles or do I have to remove all of the tile paint and start again? Any help would be gratefully received.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Tiles should NOT be painted. Most paints well all paints wont take a proper bond to ceramic as its a non porous surface and there is nothing for the paint to bite to. But if its a simple cheap fix just re paint it will still scratch off no matter what you choose to do.

mandylou
Labourer
Labourer

by mandylou » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:46 pm

Many thanks JRS for your comments, much appreciated, but the tiles have already been painted with proper tile paint and the paint has stayed on. When I first painted the tiles, many moons ago, I think I used a primer before using the tile paint so that probably helped to bond the paint, I just wondered really if I could use another primer on the tiles without having to remove all the existing paint before I repaint to change the colour?

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Just give it a light sand the and an undercoat.

mandylou
Labourer
Labourer

by mandylou » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks JRS will do. I suppose the worse that can happen is the paint will peel off and I'll have to re-tile the bathroom! Lol. Thanks for your help.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:56 am