Painting onto PVA sealed ceiling
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tedgar
Labourer
Labourer

Painting onto PVA sealed ceiling

by tedgar » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Please help - I stupidly took a friends advise and covered my ceiling (which i'd stripped the paper off of) with a strong PVA solution to seal it as it was a bit flaky. Of course my emulsion paint won't now go on the ceiling properly, and it dries all cracked.
What should I do?

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

by toplondonchef » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi tedgar

Great advice - NOT
You're sure it was a friend ??

In my opinion, the best solution you have is to line the ceiling with a descent grade lining paper, say min 1000 grade

Depending on the finish that you want and the condition of the ceiling, ie bit flaky as you say, you may have to prep , sand, fill, the ceiling prior to lining

As you have emulsioned the ceiling now, would also suggest that you "size" the ceiling before papering otherwise the emulsion may suck the paste out of the paper far too quickly

(I'm not a decorator, just some friendly diy advice)
Good luck and let the site know how you get on

tedgar
Labourer
Labourer

by tedgar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks toplondonchef.

I have only painted a bit of the ceiling, and am really reluctant to paper it.
Is there really nothing I can do with the pva'd ceiling I haven't painted?
How about a different type of paint on top of it, or sanding it down?

Many thanks.

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

by toplondonchef » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi tedgar

This PVA stuff can cause loads of problems when used prior to emulsion paint

Although water based, you can't simply wash it off with say a sugar soap solution as it soaks in and penatrates the plaster and you can't sand it down, for the same reason

Another option you can try if you don't want to use lining paper is to give the ceiling 2 coats of an oil based undercoat - Dulux Trade White Undercoat as an example and then emulsion over

This "should" seal the PVA and give a smooth surface for the emulsion to adhere to. As oil based and covering a large surface area, allow plenty of ventilation whilst painting and let the site know how you get on

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:33 am