painting over yellowed paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dave57
Labourer
Labourer

painting over yellowed paint

by dave57 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi All,

I am in the process of repainting my interior white gloss woodwork because it has gone yellow. I am not a smoker but this seems to be a common problem with oil-based paint . I painted 2 coats of dulux water based gloss an area of skirting but it has not covered very well. Would it be better for me to paint all the woodwork first with a dulux oil based white undercoat and then go over with a water- based gloss.

Many thanks for your comments

Dave

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:30 am

Hi dave, from what you have written it doesn't sound like you used any undercoat before putting the gloss on. Gloss on its own will not cover up the yellow and it will bleed through again within a couple of weeks if not sooner. I would wash it all down with some sugar soap first to get rid of anything that is on the surface and prepare as usual. After this give it one or even two coats of undercoat either oil or water based to cover the yellow then give coat of gloss. Don't use the water based undercoat/primer as this is not the same as proper undercoat and may not cover as well. I personally do not like using waterbased gloss/undercoat as I have always prefered to use the oil based paints. I think you get a better finish with them. Water based gloss does tend to stay whiter longer than the oil based ones, but Dulux trade brilliant white gloss oil based is quite good at staying white. I always think that by the time it has yellowed it is time to repaint anyway.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:00 pm

did u sand down the original gloss prior to painting? if not you will need to do so. then you could apply a decent stain block such as Zinsser, followed by a solvent undercoat.

i'd also use a good quality solvent gloss rather than a water base.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am