Painting skirting boards near carpet
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stubbalot
Labourer
Labourer

Painting skirting boards near carpet

by stubbalot » Mon May 10, 2010 8:46 am

Hi

I need to repaint the skirting boards in a bedroom which is already capetted. The carpet is in good condition and I don't want to replace it, but I'm worried that I'll get paint on it while painting the skirting boards. The carpet is quite fluffy so it actually touches the skirting boards. Even if I try to hold the carpet back there is no way to get the paintbrush to the bottom of the skirting board without getting paint on the carpet.

Is there any tool you can buy to keep the carpet away from the skirting board while painting?

Thanks

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Mon May 10, 2010 11:40 am

Hi stubbalot, try putting cheap masking tape around the edge of the carpet. Get it so that it is tight to the skirting board then use your fingers to push it down so that none of the carpet can be seen between the tape and the skirting boards. That way you will not get any of the paint on the carpet and you can leave it there until you have finished the job, then just pull away. I say to use cheap masking tape as it will come away from the carpet after you have finished much easier than a good quality one. Good luck. Shed.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Thu May 27, 2010 9:37 pm

Or if you are still struggling, you could use a peice of cardboard or plastic to protect while you paint each area.

emanday
Apprentice
Apprentice

by emanday » Mon May 31, 2010 3:48 pm

Your local DIY store should stock masking tape specifically for that. It is masking tape with about a six inches (or more) polythene "skirt" attached.

Worked like a charm for us, and is far cheaper in the long run. Gloss paint is the very devil to get off carpet.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:50 am

masking tape, definitely.

the cardboard idea isn't bad but may cause more problems. i bought a tool many years ago for this exact job. just a thin steel blade that you butt up to cover the carpet as you paint. problem is that invariably you will get paint on the cardboard which could drag across the carpet as you remove it.

thedoctor

Re: Painting skirting boards near carpet

by thedoctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi, a fairly old post we know but one which attracts a lot of attention so we just wanted to say that there is tonnes of painting info on the main website here https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/pa ... irting.htm AND HERE https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/alphasearch/P.htm

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:41 pm