Painting Sprayed Doors
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jim12345
Labourer
Labourer

Painting Sprayed Doors

by jim12345 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Evening All,

I've got to paint some sprayed doors but try to retain the finish of the spray with rollers/brushes. I've been told a couple of methods but the one that kind of rings true is to give the doors a light wipe down and then use a good quality roller and then lay them off with a 4" mohair brush.

My question is.....is the above the right way to go? The doors don't need priming as i'm painting them with satinwood and they're already in good condition ie: no filling required. Is there such a thing as a mohair brush? I've had a look on the internet but can only find mohair rollers. Will a fine " brush do the job (can anyone recommend one? I'd usually just go for Purdeys anyway). Also, can the satinwood be applied with a standard sponge roller or do i need a specific one for this as well? On previous jobs i've primed doors and rollered the gloss on but the finish on this needs to be spot one!

Thanks in advance,

Regards

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:41 am

you say " The doors don't need priming as i'm painting them with satinwood..." - does not mean that they shouldn't be primed. i'd at least sand the doors and give them a good solvent-based undercoat first. then knock back the undercoat with some fine finish sandpaper.

some pointers to give you the best possible outcome:

- use a flocked roller, not a foam one - they leave bubbles.
- use a high quality satinwood paint - i'd recommend dulux trade satinwood.
- better than a roller is to do it with a brush but it does depend on how good your brush skills are and you also need to be able to work at speed over a large area.
- if you do use a roller i would not be inclined to go over with a brush - if the doors are quite large then the paint will probably already have started to stiffen up by the time you finish rollering, thereby dragging the paint and making a mess of it rather than making it look nice.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:32 pm