Painting Walls
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gp171080
Labourer
Labourer

Painting Walls

Post by gp171080 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:37 am

I have recently taken off the wallpaper in my bedroom and have noticed that the walls are fairly uneven where plaster has slightly fallen off. I was thinking of lining the walls thick lining paper and then painting over the paper. Would you recommend this OR get the wall skimmed and then put up the lining paper and then paint?
Thanks

3magnet
Tradesman
Tradesman

Painting Walls

Post by 3magnet » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi there,
I had the same problem when I removed my wallpaper. I have been informed that depending on the age of your house, the plaster used dried out to quick and thus shrinkage did/could occur. When you used your steamer, the steam expanded behing the cavity, thus causing it (plaster) to flake.

You will have to tap around the flaked areas and listen for a hollow sound. This means that there is still loose plaster which has detached form the base layer, but not flaked off. You will have to remove all of the loose plaster as priming it later will/could cause it to absorb the moisture and fall off.

Once all of the flaking plaster have been removed, you have to remove any dust etc. (wire brush). You should also remove any bits of remaining wallpaper by lightly sanding the area. Wash the wall with Sugar Soap and let dry. A bonding liquid should be applied before re-plastering. This will help the new plaster to better stick to the surface.

If you are unsure of how to do any of this i.e. plastering, get a professional to do so, but make sure to get good references first.

Sand_storm
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Sand_storm » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm no expert but I can tell you what happened in my house when the previous owners lined over the missing plaster and then painted--the paper soaked up moisture from the paint and buckled over the areas of missing plaster. I'm now in the process of stripping it so I can re-plaster--very messy and time consuming. Maybe save yourself some hassle and just re-plaster. My 2 cents anyway.

smeagle
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Painting Walls

Post by smeagle » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:10 pm

[quote="gp171080"]I have recently taken off the wallpaper in my bedroom and have noticed that the walls are fairly uneven where plaster has slightly fallen off. I was thinking of lining the walls thick lining paper and then painting over the paper. Would you recommend this OR get the wall skimmed and then put up the lining paper and then paint?
Thanks[/quote]

i would warn against backing paper then painting over it when we moved into our house it was one long room the previous owners had put up backing paper then painted over the top it was an absoloute pig to get the paint and backing paper off the wall it took forever to get it off once we did manage to get it of we had damaged the plaster on the wall because we had to dig in so hard to get through the paint and under the backing paper in the end we got the whole room replastered and now we just paint straight on to the plaster it was the best thing we ever did having smooth plastered walls and just painting them when we want to decorate is just so easy and it looks good to

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:20 am