Paper, paint and plasterboard
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mike G Philip
Apprentice
Apprentice

Paper, paint and plasterboard

Post by Mike G Philip » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 am

I seem to have the same problem Claire had (ref. the use of Eco paint stripper on your site). In my case, there is heavy wallpaper that is dry and coming away in places and I know that I will be left with a mixture of bare platerboard (fawn colour), flaking emulsion and possibly some "sound" emulsion. Other sites seem to say avoid using such products on plasterboard as it would go soggy. I intend to paint the walls from now on with emulsion. Advice gratefully received.
Mike

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Post by theshedman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Mike, to start with are you sure that it is plasterboard and not plaster that you can see. If it is plasterboard there will be a paper finish. If this is the case then your best option would be to strip off all the paper and loose emulsion first. After doing this put PVA on the walls then get them skimmed if you can't do it yourself. You will then have a good flat finish to Emulsion on to. Stripping plasterboard that hasn't been skimmed is always going to be difficult to get a smooth finish on as there will always be lumps taken out of it and a stripper is not usually the answer. If you can't or don't want to get the walls skimmed you could get them as smooth as you can and then put lining paper up before emulsioning. Good luck. Shed.

Mike G Philip
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mike G Philip » Tue May 04, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks Shed, Much appreciated. It is definitley plasterboard - this is a timber framed house. I am nbow erring on the side of skimming. It will probably cost a lot but then, at least, I have good walls forever.
Cheers,
Mike

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

help at hand

Post by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:29 pm