Par 36 lighting for garden
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Par 36 lighting for garden

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:25 pm

i am putting in some garden lighting and want to install a par 36 or 38 spotlight to illuminate a big sycamore tree at the foot of the garden. can anybody tell me where i can get an exterior par 36 bulb carrier? looked on internet and all seem to be disco lighting. i know exterior ones are available but can't find them.

also a question on wiring. i have an electrician coming to upgrade my consumer unit to 17th ed standard as i am running power to an outbuilding at the back of the garden. i've run a 10mm² three core armoured cable from the consumer unit ready for installation of the new board. it runs about 50 metres to the back of the garden where it will go into another board. from this i intend to run 6 sockets and the garden lighting. just want to check that i've run the correct cable for the lighting as it's now been trenched in and turfed over. i have used 1.5mm² three core armoured for the lights on a run of about 35 metres to be fed from the board in the outbuilding. the lighting circuit will not be drawing much, three LED spots, no more that 5 watts each and the par 36, probably 100 watts. is 1.5mm sufficient? i think it is but would appreciate a confirmation!

spark coming at the weekend to connect up and want to be sure its ready to go before he arrives.

ladaman348
Labourer
Labourer

light fittings

by ladaman348 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:11 am

hello there

saw your post when searching for info on color filters for PAR 38 lamps.

not sure where to find PAR 36 fittings but PAR 38 fittings are readily avaiable (garden spike fitting they call it).

your cable lengths should be okay although there are limits on lengths to ensure effective dis-connection times in event of a fault. 35meters of 1.5mm will be okay depending on the protective device chosen and i guess you will be using a RCBO at 6 A. At 10A the limit would be around 33 metres according to the IEE on-site guide.

best wishes with the tree, ladaman348.

(actually 1.5 mm armour cable is specified as capable of running up to 18 amps so your installation will be fine because your lamps will draw less than 1 amp!)

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 am

that's great advice many thanks. so its a par 38 garden spike i need to be looking for. my consumer unit is being upgraded to 17th ed specification so rcbo 6A will be protecting it. thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:40 pm