Part 'M' Height Of CU
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thebird44
Apprentice
Apprentice

Part 'M' Height Of CU

by thebird44 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick question. As part P of the building regs refers to part M (Access & Use of Buildings) with regards to heights of sockets & switches, does this include the height of the CU if this is being replaced ? i.e. does a replacement CU have to be between 450mm and 1200mm from FFL. It would seem silly to me with regards to children being able to access a CU but logical for a disabled person to access it.

Does the 17th refer to this in any way ?

Thanks for your help

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:54 am

I am sure I have read somewhere about disabled access to consumer units as I commented that where my parents one is under the stairs would not comply. But I can’t find it in 17th Edition. I know I mounted sockets in a bedroom where the bed head will go lower than normal so it would be within the height of the legs and would not get hit by the bed being pushed against the wall and quoted to building inspector
“553.1.6 A socket-outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimize the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug.â€

thebird44
Apprentice
Apprentice

by thebird44 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. I just found it strange the part P say Switches, Sockets & CU and part M just refers to Switches & Sockets. I would guess that part M is refering to items that are in general daily use by a person and omits the CU in its wording as (hopefully) this won't need to be operated by anybody on a daily basis if all is ok with the installation ?

My question was raised because the situation I have is the cutout & meter are in a metal enclosure which starts about 1400mm from the floor and finished about 2000mm from the floor. On top of this is the CU, which i want replaced and left in the same position if possible. Anyway, I guess that will be a design issue for the sparky and myself to discuss.

Thanks for your help

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:24 pm

After my post I did look more carefully at Part M and they can't make their own mind up. I looked at how a touch sensitive screen would fall into their requirements being under 1200mm as it has push buttons but between 1200mm and 1200 to 1400mm as needing close vision. So I would say let common sense prevail.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm