part p certification
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ian2799
Apprentice
Apprentice

part p certification

by ian2799 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:15 pm

hi wonder if anyone can help me i am a fully qualified approved electrician working in the industrial sector i have a 2391 certificate and would like to earn an additional income outside my permanent job could anybody tell me what the easiest and cheapest way to issue a valid part p certificate if i was to carry out any domestic works cheers

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:38 am

It all depends on how many jobs per year and local council charges. The charge varies county to county. Big jobs like complete re-wires often better to pay county by the job. Small jobs then really need to be registered. With disabled having toll free status in many counties and a lot of work not needing Part P. Not sure how one would work out point at which you would be better off being a member of one of the clearing houses. But I think you have to have had so many jobs passed first?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi Ian,
I was in similar position at start of 'Part-p' 3 years ago in that 95% of my work was non-domestic .
I had not intended to register as could see no point, however dispite what you may read in press & on forums a lot of 'other trades' [plumbers, kitchen fitters] have stopped doing their own electrics for fear of prosecution and don't/can't have means of testing and issuing own certs.
So as a result demand for leckies to do such work has grown rapidly.
The point Eric makes is very valid, if you are planning to do a few largish jobs on the side then add £160/200 to the price and pay LABC fee to have them come and inspect each job, you can/must issue IEE test certs. for the work done but thats it.
Alternatively the other route is to join one of the self-certifying bodies
[NAPIT, Elecsa, BRE, Niceic,] as a part p competant person, and pay them around £2.50/job to register the work with LABC for you, you still of course must issue valid certs. to customers.
There is no other way, so small jobs would be too costly if not able to self-cert. I joined NAPIT as I can now do 3rd party Inspections/tests [but still not allowed to notify other peoples part-p work for them as it's not allowed under bldg regs.] can only register work I have done, many people do not understand this bit of the legislation.
Just sat my 17th edition C&G in FEB. which will be required if you wish to register,
best wishes ,
SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:43 pm