Part P Swtich & Socket Height
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
egghead
Labourer
Labourer

Part P Swtich & Socket Height

by egghead » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi

Quick question for all you experts in regulations out there.

I am helping a friend rewire his house - it's a complete mess and the majority of the wiring is dangerous and the rest could become dangerous in time.

So, as the house needs replastering and the floorboards are coming up anyway, it seems like a good time to completely rewire and bring the house up to current regulations.

One thing I'm not clear on though, is given that we plan to replace all the cables in the house, do we have to move the existing sockets and switches to conform to the 450/1200mm requirements? Or as it is a reworking of an existing installation, are we permitted to leave them where they are? I ask because the lady of the house is seriously unhappy about having light switches whose upper edge is at no more than 1200mm from the floor.......

Many thanks

tony

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:27 pm

HI Tony, because not a new build,
your okay to leave them as long as not in dangerous position.
heights of switches and sockets are set for people how have difficulty in reaching them and also for area in danger of flooding.
Regards
KB

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:26 pm

This is covered in Part M of the Building Regs.

As I understand the positioning of sockets and switches in conformity with these Regs ONLY applies to new builds and total refurbs. A rewire doesn't count.

Cheers

egghead
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks!

by egghead » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:31 pm

hi Guys

Thanks for the informative answers.

Out of interest, when does a rewire become a total refurb? Is there a strict definition?

Cheers

Tony

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Sorry I meant a total building refurb not just a wiring refurb which = a rewire.

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:14 am