Party Wall agreement - does it transfer during a house sale?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

yappaty
Labourer
Labourer

Party Wall agreement - does it transfer during a house sale?

by yappaty » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:31 pm

We're having our loft converted and both neighbours were happy to sign party wall agreements. However one of them had their house on the market and did not tell the estate agents that they had signed this agreement. The building plans went through planning and were issued with a certificate of lawful development.

The new owners were not informed of the party wall agreement. I did tell them that we were having the work done when they moved in but I did not get them to sign a new agreement. Now that the work has started they have asked about the party wall agreement.

What is my position - should the agreement have been picked up by the purchasers solicitor? Does the party wall agreement transfer between owners or do I need to get the new owners to sign a new agreement? Does not having a party wall agreement with the current owners affect the insurance cover that the builders have for damage to the neighbours property?

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Simon