PARTY WALL AGREMENT
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DAVID MARSHALL
Labourer
Labourer

PARTY WALL AGREMENT

by DAVID MARSHALL » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:20 am

WHAT COULD HAPPEN IF I KNOCK DOWN A CHIMMLEY BREAST THAT WAS JOIN TO A NEIGHBOUR AND DID NOT GET A PARTY WALL AGREMENT

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

by arbco » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:35 pm

Many answers from nothing to legal action. I would suggest speaking to your nieghbours and getting them to sign a sort of consent form agreeing to the work. Providing you do not cause any damage to their property all should be OK!! You may also wish to check the support to the nieghbours chimney provided by your half if you remove the chimney completely. If you intend to leave a section of the chimney then it will require support and an application to building control/structural calculations etc..

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:36 pm

arbco

A recent case saw the developer get sued for Negligence and Nuisance for failing to follow party wall proceedures.

It is also an issue that may come up when you or your neightbours and selling their house.

You can get a retrospective party wall award put in place which will legally cover you.

Hope this helps.

LCL

matchmade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by matchmade » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:21 pm

I agree - make sure you demolish your chimney in the upstairs room or get it supported. And be aware you are going to generate enormous amounts of dust and soot! Remove all furniture and seal up your doors with duct tape before you start.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1