Password
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davechidlow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Password

by davechidlow » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi, i have been trying to get a password set up on my pc, but with no joy , my three children all have passwords set up on their laptops, i-pod touch etc..... but unable to get my pc (windows xp)to password enabled.......Anyone got any ideas?????????????

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Password

by ericmark » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Give up it's pointless. If your kids are anything like mine they see a password as a challenge. Once set it is so easy to bypass by just putting a live linux CD in the disk drive and it will bypass windows passwords. Only by password the boot bit so they can't boot from a CD can you stop them. And if you forget the password then put computer in the bin.

The passwords can be on screen saver or main boot-up. Go into Control Panel then User Accounts and follow prompts change the way users log on think it's called.

My wife uses a password and to me it's just a pain as instead of setting to boot and come back latter all up and running you have to then wait after entering password before you can start using it.

wilsonsmith
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wilsonsmith » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:59 am

davechidlow wrote:Hi, i have been trying to get a password set up on my pc, but with no joy , my three children all have passwords set up on their laptops, i-pod touch etc..... but unable to get my pc (windows xp)to password enabled.......Anyone got any ideas?????????????

Open the control panel and under user accounts select your user account and simply change the way you log on to your PC. Follow the steps in the wizard that guide you and now you are all set to go. You can also done this with some simple commands using command line mode if you are familiar with those commands.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:40 am

Not sure it is worth replying to a 4 year old post? I have the reverse problem. Windows 10 on desk top and I wanted to control from laptop, said I needed a password so put one on it. Could not get VNC to work so wanted to remove it. No way can I remove from desk top however now Windows 7 installed instead of Vista on laptop remote desk top works A1.

However from Laptop I don't need any password, only using direct do I need password. How crazy is that?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm