Patches after bricking up!

Postby kelthew » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:51 am

I've recently bricked up my fireplace & plastered over it. The fire was in use last year burning coal. I've now gota couple of water like patches with a rusty look in one area & the plaster looks darker @ the bottom. I've taken all old lead piping out from behind what used to be an old back boiler & that was drained before using the fire.
What can I do? my house is in the middle of being sold so I need to get something done quickly & with as little expense as poss!! Thanks
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby blackcat » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:22 pm

when you bricked up the firelace did you leave a air vent at the bottom to maintain a air flow though the chimmley to stop any condesation if not drill a few holes at the bottom a stick a vent on to cover the holes as for the staining if the room is painted try stain blocker then re paint hope this helps
Daihatsu Esse history
Last edited by blackcat on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Progress to next rank:

Postby thedoctor » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:12 pm

See the project in the projects section called closing a fireplace.

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!