Patio Doors Lock in New Property and Help Needed
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
conwayd05
Labourer
Labourer

Patio Doors Lock in New Property and Help Needed

by conwayd05 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Hello, new to the forum and hope some can help. Basically I have moved into a house and it has a pair of doors from the living room to the garden. I believe they're French Doors as they meet in the middle and lock together but I may be wrong..

Anyway basically the door on the right bolts into the top of the frame and bottom of the frame and the door on the left locks into the door on the right. The problem is once the doors are locked they're not air tight or stiff. You can basically push on the door and it will move outwards a good few cm's. This appears to be because of the lock fixture at the top and the bottom. It basically screws on with two screws but doesn't fix in place.... almost like it's designed to slide back and forth a bit.. I also noticed that the top lock is a lot smaller then then the fixing.. so not sure if someone has replaced the lock at some point but not the fixing...

Overall I don't know what to do because I don't know what the name of the fixing is at the top and bottom to order a better replacement.. if that is even the problem.. have attached pictures.. any help would be welcome! Door lock bar says Maco 2001 04 if that helps.
Attachments
WP_20161119_15_28_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20161119_15_29_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20161119_15_26_36_Pro.jpg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Patio Doors Lock in New Property and Help Needed

by welsh brickie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:58 pm

the catches can be moved to give a tighter fit against the rubber gasket to create a tighter seal.
First unscrew the top catch slightly and move it 1-2mm, and do the same to the bottom, and tighten the screws, Then shut the door and lift the handle, it will be tighter,
If its better, then adjust the lock receiver in the same way, take your time and try and lock and unlock the door each time you adjust the catches and receiver.

conwayd05
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Patio Doors Lock in New Property and Help Needed

by conwayd05 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Hello, thank you for your advice. I had previously tried that and have tried it again. The problem I have is that I move it to where it needs to be, close the door and its a fantastic tight seal but as soon as you open the door again it moves back again... It's because the metal bit that the screws go into never tighten down 100%... but it looks like it was designed to do that???

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:47 am