Pebble Dashing on Stone Walls - Is it Best to Leave or Remove?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dougmca
Labourer
Labourer

Pebble Dashing on Stone Walls - Is it Best to Leave or Remove?

by dougmca » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:13 am

I have a pre-1900 end of terrace stone house with a block 2 storey extension on the rear. At some time probably 60s it was pebble dashed. I have made enquiries about insulating the outside of the house but the solution appears to be a foam base which will add another 10cms to the house and still look pebble dash. I am also told that the best option is to knock off the pebble dash to let the stone breath. Everyone in the trade assures me that their solution is the right one. I need a technical answer to the problem without money being involved. Is it best to have bare stone, properly pointed or leave the pebble dash?

DIYDoctor1
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Pebble Dashing on Stone Walls - Is it Best to Leave or Remove?

by DIYDoctor1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi Dougmca,
Your question is not totally clear (to me at least!), so I will do my best to answer it. If you want to remove the pebble dash, I am quite sure that your home will be fine - after all, it had 60 or so years like this before it was pebble dashed.

It has had nearly another 60 years with the pebble dash, so if you would like to keep this I believe it will be fine.

If you want to add an external wall insulation, it will likely depend on the type of insulation that you are fitting as to what should be done with the pebble dash (the installation company should be able to advise), although it will be worth understanding how the insulation will affect the pebble dash (and vice versa) and why it would need to be removed.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am