Peeling Paint on new plaster
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sue Andrews
Labourer
Labourer

Peeling Paint on new plaster

Post by Sue Andrews » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:03 am

Help !!!!
I had my bedroom walls skimmed with plaster. I painted the walls in very, very watered down emulsion paint as advised however I didnt realised it shouldn't have been so watered down, (it was about one third paint and 2 thirds water). I applied my first coat of emulsion and of course it started to peel. On advice from a guy at a DIY store I painted the wall with PVA (correctly water down this time) on top of the frist coat of paint which appeared to be ok. However now I applied the second coat of paint and it if peeling off back to the new plaster. Most of the wall is ok and it appears to be in small area however I' feel it may spread. What can I do as a relative quick fix as I am due to have my carpet fitted on Friday????

al fresco
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Peeling Paint on new plaster

Post by al fresco » Tue May 13, 2008 4:53 pm

[quote="Sue Andrews"]Help !!!!
I had my bedroom walls skimmed with plaster. I painted the walls in very, very watered down emulsion paint as advised however I didnt realised it shouldn't have been so watered down, (it was about one third paint and 2 thirds water). I applied my first coat of emulsion and of course it started to peel. On advice from a guy at a DIY store I painted the wall with PVA (correctly water down this time) on top of the frist coat of paint which appeared to be ok. However now I applied the second coat of paint and it if peeling off back to the new plaster. Most of the wall is ok and it appears to be in small area however I' feel it may spread. What can I do as a relative quick fix as I am due to have my carpet fitted on Friday????[/quote]

You've no doubt resolved your problem by now.

I have a similar problem but noted that use of PVA is not recommended by several posters.

I am hoping for a speedy reply from the experts.

However, first thing to do for anybody else in your situation, postpone the carpet fitters as we did.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:13 pm