Pendant Light in Living Room Missing Earth for new Light?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mathewjknott
Labourer
Labourer

Pendant Light in Living Room Missing Earth for new Light?

Post by mathewjknott » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:18 am

Hi everyone.

I have recently moved into a new house (housing association) and wanting to put my own light up in the living room to replace the current pendant light.

Upon removing the pendant light I am only able to find a live and neutral wire where the light I wish to replace it with requires a neutral as well (metal light fixture). I checked the light switch and the switch it self is not earthed however the metal box in the wall is.

Should I continue to poke about in the ceiling looking for a earth or is there a good chance there won't be a earth there?

I checked the hall light and the pendant there has earth. Not sure if it's anything to do with having 2 light switches or not.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Pendant Light in Living Room Missing Earth for new Light?

Post by ericmark » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 am

For fixed wiring an earth must be installed even if not used, but for flex then class ll does not need an earth, so in the room I am in there is an earth in the ceiling rose, but no earth to the pendent lamp.

However pre 1966 this was not the case, many old houses do not have earth wires in the lights, which is why this house was re-wired.

I have found where extra low voltage lamps have been used, and then converted to low voltage at same time as fitting LED lamps that the earth has been missed out, this would not comply with regulations, but regulations are not law.

When I have worked in old houses with some pre 1966 wiring I have found new cables have earth wires, but those earth wires are not connected, I have used an earth loop impedance meter to test the earth as a result.

In a new house every switch, every socket, every ceiling rose should have an earth wire even if not used. Only the flex from ceiling rose to lamp can be twin flex.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:48 pm