Pine door unsure
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
elreeko
Labourer
Labourer

Pine door unsure

by elreeko » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi folks !..this is my first post..I'm wanting to know how my new pine doors will not warp when the joiner comes to cut them for size, because the instructions that came with the doors says - Please coat these doors with at least three coats of primer to seal Before hanging to stop warping.. Surely when the joiner cuts the doors to size won't the open edges will be open to the elements ?..Also it says - do not use oils on these timbered doors...does this mean that i can not ever paint them ?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:50 pm

elreeko,
If the doors are external ones sealing before hanging would be logical because the doors will be exposed to the elements on the outer side. If the doors are internal ones I don't see sealing before hanging is an issue.
end

elreeko
Labourer
Labourer

by elreeko » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi stoneyboy,..thanks for your reply,..They are all internal pine doors,and it says on the instrutions- -not recomended for waxing or oiling..then it goes on to say--make sure all the doors especially the edges are primed with a minimum of three coats to stop the warping process...Hence i am unsure as to how one goes about painting or varnishing them which i'm sure must have oils in them...and also i'd have to take the doors back off again after the joiner has fitted them... what do you think ?
your answer is greatly appreciated.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:21 pm

waxes and oils are different finishes which can be applied to wood. Varnish may contain oil but it is not the same as these oil finishes.

I have some bare doors installed which I plan to varnish myself, I'm sure if I'd been willing to pay then the joiner would have waited until after I had varnished them before hanging but for the benefit of easy storage and keeping the project cost down they are hanging from the door frame at the moment.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:31 pm

elreeko,
Get the doors fitted first, insist that three hinges are fitted which will minimise warping on the hinge side. Check the doors carefully before you fit them to make sure they are flat.
end

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:47 pm

by 'oils' i am fairly certain that the manufacturer is referring to oils such as boiled linseed oil or danish, for example. i very much doubt that they refer to oil based paints which should be fine to use on your doors.

elreeko
Labourer
Labourer

by elreeko » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks to Stoneboy,..Chris-on-tour 2002,..and acsimpson for your advice which has put my mind at rest over the fitting of my Pine doors....Cheers!..... :D

jsmon004
Labourer
Labourer

re

by jsmon004 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:10 pm

the carpenter should seal all areas of the door with oil based wood varnish. They can also be painted with oil based paint.

elreeko
Labourer
Labourer

Pine o.k. reply.

by elreeko » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks jsmon 004,...have taken your info into consideration...Thanks for to all the folks for their replies!. :D

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:25 am