Pipe Insulation in the Loft and Fibre Covering - Is it ok to Insulate?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIY Noob
Labourer
Labourer

Pipe Insulation in the Loft and Fibre Covering - Is it ok to Insulate?

Post by DIY Noob » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:53 am

Hi all ....

Probably a silly question here, but I've moved into a place that has loft space and it has some insulation on the pipes and some fibre in between the joists

There's allot of scattered foam sleeves that may have been across all the pipes at some point but I don't want to incorrectly insulate and cause issues.

So here goes ....

1. There are COLD water pipes, HOT water pipes and GAS pipes, can I sleeve them all with the foam sleeves already in place, or are there any sort of pipes I shouldn't be covering?

2. Once I have insulated at the pipe level, can I then cover the whole area with a sheepswool or glass fibre roll insulation with confidence that all is safe (I'm thinking fire hazard, probably stupidly, of covering everything with a dry material)

The center of the loft space is boarded, but I hope to cover at least 75% of the loft to warm the living space downstairs a bit

Like I said, a bit silly, but that's why I thought I'd ask those in the know :)

Many thanks in advance
Rob

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Pipe Insulation in the Loft and Fibre Covering - Is it ok to Insulate?

Post by proptech » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi, DIY Noob

The existing pipe sleeving is probably not up to today's standards, and it would be wise to replace the lot. It's not that expensive, so go for the best you can.
Hot and cold, treat the same, gas does not need it.
Then top up the insulation between joists, and, if you can, another layer over the top, covering the joists.

DIY Noob
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Pipe Insulation in the Loft and Fibre Covering - Is it ok to Insulate?

Post by DIY Noob » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 pm

That's great thanks
Its what I hoped but its good to have that validated
Many thanks
Rob

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:41 pm