PIPES for wall hung basin exterior wall?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jasonmartin10
Apprentice
Apprentice

PIPES for wall hung basin exterior wall?

Post by jasonmartin10 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:56 pm

Going to hang a wall hung basin, on exterior wall . Was going to sink pipe in cement then realised big no no! Im going to use 15mm copper pipe and realise need to be insulated and possibly accessible am i right in thinking this (ie regs etc..). , or does it mean just shouldnt bury any joints , just use one piece in chased out channel?Was thinking of putting pipe inside plastic overflow pipe , good idea what would you do?? :?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:55 pm

Blg Regs say pipes buried in outside wall a no no if I remember correctly. Why? Because you can insulate the hell out of them, but on the night when it goes down to zero (F) with a howling gale blowing and the power also goes out, they`ll very probably freeze wholesale. So the next thing you have is a burst pipe which you can't get at, water all over the kitchen (or whichever room is unlucky enough to be right underneath) and wrecked tiles and all sorts to fix it.

Bring 'em up from the floor in chromed copper would be an easier solution for you anyhow.

Cheers

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:01 pm

do you mean the pipes will be in the wall or the floor or both
i suppose either way the pipes would best be in some form of channeling
access well if you tile over them then removing the tiles allows access just keep a few extra tiles handy and make some indescrite(hope i spelt that right) marks to show path of piping
bob

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 pm

regarding rosebery point i think that does apply to a outside wall but not if if its a cavity in other words your on the inside wall of the outside wall,even im confusing myself it is late ill get the book out tomorrow
bob

jasonmartin10
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jasonmartin10 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Sorry guys my fault i will clarify , its for a bathroom cavity wall NOT outside property but on the inside of an exterior wall so should i need to insulate or just cover with plaster or tile grout, will this corrode the pipes?

jasonmartin10
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jasonmartin10 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:57 pm

yes bobplum thats what i mean inside wall of an outside wall ! ie a cavitiy wall, so freezing issues wont apply just corrosion issues. So should i use plaster , grout, chromed copper or encase in plastic overflow pipe when i put pipe in chased channels before i tile over them? :?

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:53 pm

probarly copper and yes if you have the room use overflow pipe or speak to plumbers merchants and see what they have/recommend

jasonmartin10
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jasonmartin10 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:20 pm

pts round our way couldnt suggest anything unless your a plumber! But i think will go with the overflow pipe thanks bobplum

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:48 pm