Pitched Roof Leak on 12 Degree Pitch Roof With Velux Windows
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davebusby
Labourer
Labourer

Pitched Roof Leak on 12 Degree Pitch Roof With Velux Windows

by davebusby » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Hello all,

We had a 3m single story kitchen extension done earlier in the year, with two Velux windows. It was fine for the first couple of months but now we regularly get damp patches on the ceiling when it rains (doesn't have to be particularly heavy).

Spoken to our builder and he is adamant that he has done plenty of 12 degree pitches with Velux windows and has never had problems. Do we believe him?

I've looked at the tiles they've used and they are for a minimum 17.5 degree pitch and I think Velux recommend a minimum 15 degree pitch?

What do you think would be the best remedial action for this. Is there any way new roof tiles would sort it? Or does the roof need to come off and be redone? Or would it be easier/cheaper/better to change the windows and roof to a fortcrete (or similar?) window/roof system?

Any help or advice you could give would be hugely appreciated as we really don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

RX7
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Pitched Roof Leak on 12 Degree Pitch Roof With Velux Windows

by RX7 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:23 am

The roofer didn't come back to investigate?

It doesn't matter how many roofs he has fitted, leaks occur for many reasons.

It could be a simple issue with the flashing around the VELUX windows.

I wouldn't say the tiles will be the issue as such, it is more than likely an issue with the install. That's not to say the Roofer doesn't know what he is doing, these things happen. But he should come back and investiagte.

John Austen
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Pitched Roof Leak on 12 Degree Pitch Roof With Velux Windows

by John Austen » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:07 pm

Hi, Velux do low pitched roof lights -low pitch roof window, especially made for homes with low pitches (10°-20°).
https://www.velux.co.uk/products/roof-w ... oof-window.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 am