Planning gas pipe route
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jen33
Labourer
Labourer

Planning gas pipe route

Post by Jen33 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:03 pm

I'm currently planning a new kitchen and need to know where the gas pipe for the cooker can go to decide how units/appliances will fit around it. Obviously I'll get a Corgi plumber to carry out all the work.

Can a gas pipe legally be chased into a plasterboard wall and plastered over? Or does it have to be visible?

And, does the gas outlet for the cooker have to be directly behind the cooker (so the cooker will stick out too far?) or can it be in an adjacent cupboard with the hose running to it (as long as it reaches comfortably)?

Also, will an electrical socket currently directly behind the cooker need moving?

Thanks for any advice.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:29 pm

The bayonet fitting has to be easily accessible, behind the cooker - it cannot be behind a unit or in a cupboard.

A protected gas pipe can be chased into a wall and plastered over. A gas pipe cannot be laid in a cavity - it can pass through a cavity wall via the shortest route but has to be sleeved.

Electrical socket ? for an electric cooker ? this should have a blanking plate fitted to it.

hope this helps

htg

Jen33
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Jen33 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:39 pm

That's very helpful, thank you.

So I can't have the bayonet fitting behind a cupboard with a hole cut in the back of the cupboard so the fitting can be reached? If not, what's the best way to arrange the connection so the cooker doesn't stick out too far from the wall?

The electrical socket is a normal 3 pin outlet that was used to plug in the previous gas cooker to operate the oven light and ignition. I just wondered if it can stay there or should it be moved, again behind a cupboard with a hole cut in the back?

Thanks.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:33 pm

The electrical socket can stay there - no problem.

No the bayonet cannot be left behind the cupboard. There's ways of getting a cooker back to the wall, different fittings and the positioning od the bayonet. The CORGI installer that installs the cooker will sort this - nothing to worry about for a DIYer, as you should use a CORGI installer to carry out the work.

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:37 am