planning permission for side extension
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NG
Labourer
Labourer

planning permission for side extension

by NG » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:48 pm

I am thinking of building a second storey extension to my existing single storey extension which was build 2 years ago.this ext. is on the side of the building the area is 18sq mts. Will i be allowed to build this ext. and whether will I need a planning permission.

gikseiman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gikseiman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:06 pm

I've been investigating a property we are about to purchase and you should find this site very informative: -

Google "planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/hhg/houseguide.html"

Hope it helps.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Probably you will need PP but you won't know unless you ask the Planning Office.

I would be more worried, though, that your single storey extension was built as a single storey extension and not with a view to going up in the future. If so your foundations will probably be inadequate and the existring structure might not take the additional load. In this case you are looking at a "demolish and start again" scenario.

Cheers

holboob
Apprentice
Apprentice

by holboob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:55 pm

you wouldnt need to demolish but some underpinning may be required if the foundations are not found to be suitable - not as scary as it sounds.

you would almost definately need planning permission but this would not be a problem from the sounds of things.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:26 pm

"you wouldnt need to demolish but some underpinning may be required if the foundations are not found to be suitable - not as scary as it sounds."

Maybe but what if the above ground structure is inadequate to support the additional load or did you miss that bit?

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1