Planning Permission Help for Fence used to Replace Hedge
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jacp88
Labourer
Labourer

Planning Permission Help for Fence used to Replace Hedge

by Jacp88 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:09 pm

I bought a property 5 years ago and very naively removed all the hedgerow and erected a fence with concrete posts and gravel boards. I had no idea of law or needing permission for fences etc I live on a corner property and the front fence is around 4ft high and the side which runs alongside a public path is just over 7ft. Of course since doing this I have found that I needed Planning permission. This was an honest and stupid mistake. I have read about a 4 year rule where councils can't take action after this period. Is this true in respect to fences?
Any help would be much appreciated!

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Planning Permission Help for Fence used to Replace Hedge

by diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:31 am

I guess that you have read all about the planning regulations for fences:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... allsgates/

You will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (see here for more info: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... ission/ldc)

The time limits quoted by the planning authorities are below, so it seems that 4 years will be sufficient, although you might want to wait for 10 before testing it to be super cautious (unless you need to sell or have some other reason to apply for the LDC now):

• four years for building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, without planning permission. This development becomes immune from enforcement action four years after the operations are substantially completed
• four years for the change of use of a building, or part of a building, to use as a single dwelling house. Enforcement action can no longer be taken once the unauthorised use has continued for four years without any enforcement action being taken
• 10 years for all other development. The 10 year period runs from the date the breach of planning control was committed

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:48 am