Plaster over painted wall?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bluenun
Ganger
Ganger

Plaster over painted wall?

by bluenun » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:25 am

One of my walls in the hallway is very uneven.

Is it OK to plaster on top of the painted wall?

Aidan
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Aidan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:58 pm

You can do an overskim by pva'ing the wall first. This will not make the wall even though, the only way to do that is knock off and re-plaster

tubbs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tubbs » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:38 pm

what Aidan said about the pva is correct, but the uneven wall can be levelled by using bonding and then coating with multi finish in the normal way. a good plasterer will make short work of this.

bluenun
Ganger
Ganger

by bluenun » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks for the replies.
The wall has a plug socket and a light switch so I was concerned that if a plasterer used a bonding coat and a finish coat it would bring the finished level out too far preventing access if they ever need repairs.

How many mm typically would the bonding and top coat be?

Aidan
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Aidan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:17 pm

[quote="tubbs"]what Aidan said about the pva is correct, but the uneven wall can be levelled by using bonding and then coating with multi finish in the normal way. a good plasterer will make short work of this.[/quote]

I suppose so but it all depends on how uneven the wall is, i personally would rather just knock the lot off and do the full wall rather than bonding over existing plaster and then skimming again but just my opinion

[quote="bluenun"]Thanks for the replies.
The wall has a plug socket and a light switch so I was concerned that if a plasterer used a bonding coat and a finish coat it would bring the finished level out too far preventing access if they ever need repairs.

How many mm typically would the bonding and top coat be?[/quote]

It depends how far out the wall is, you can get longer screws for the faceplates of the sockets so you can bring them out to the finished wall if needed, as long as they can get to the back of the box then you should be fine

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:33 am