plaster repair

Postby ruff cut » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 pm

Hi all this is my first post on this forum so bare with me. I have a large plaster repair to do at home i took off a dado rail and a load of plaster with it leaving just exposed brick. i want to board this area and re skim as opposed to floating (to messy). The plaster is 15mm thick, would i get away with 9.5mm board dot and dabbed to brick or would that bring it out proud of the existing plaster. or could i use mechanical fixings i looked on british gypsums site and saw nailable plugs,can you skim over these??any advice would be appreciated. ps what about normal screws and plugs??
ruff cut
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:20 pm

9.5mm are fine, dot bad method best using wall adheshive, leave about 3mm of board recessed back so can apply plaster finish.

Postby TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!