plasterboard and insulation help for renovating small room
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oneoone
Apprentice
Apprentice

plasterboard and insulation help for renovating small room

by oneoone » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:06 am

Hi,
Im just looking for some advice. On the side of our house we have a small room ( 13x9ft )after years of doing noting with it we have got around to gutting it but are stuck on what to do with the walls as they are in terrible condition. after stripping off 4 layers of wallpaper we found plaster but its just coming off in chunks and behind that looks like concert.

I was thinking of installing insulated plasterboard but as this is something I've not done before I'm looking for some help and advice. ( wall prep, Dib dab or wooden batons )

two thing that may or may not help

Our house is a very old welsh house (was once the village shop 80+ years ago ) and the amount of times I've heard a builder or tradesman say “ well I've never seen that before “ is well over double digits.

The room we are fixing up was build and used to hang meat for the shop so is very cold and whoever had the house before us turned it into an office on the cheap .

Thank you for any help and advice in advance.
oneoone AKA Rick

wall2.jpg

wall3.jpg

wall1.jpg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: plasterboard and insulation help for renovating small room

by welsh brickie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:49 pm

As its an external wall, with probably no cavity, its best to batten out the wall and insulate in between with board insulation, then plasterboard, you risk damp spots, using drywall adhesive to stick the plasterboard to the wall

oneoone
Apprentice
Apprentice

by oneoone » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks for the replay, the wall defiantly has no cavities and it looks like someone just put a light skim over the wall, its paper thin at some points. I know this may seem like a stupid question but is it worth stripping the plaster off first before I make a batten frame for the plaster bored ? will something like Celotex 25mm insulation bored do the job ?

Again thank you for the help
Rick

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:43 pm

yes hack off all the plaster back to bare brick, 25mm celotex board will do, if its really damp, its best to paint the wall with aquaprufe first

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 am