Plastering bear wa
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikey52
Labourer
Labourer

Plastering bear wa

Post by mikey52 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi
I am in the process of getting a few quotes for replastering my bathroom, I live in a 1930's semi with solid walls with lime based mortar, I intend to remove the existing tiles myself, back to the bear wall and just get the walls professionally replastered to take new tiles.

The first chap I had said that it was not a good idea to plaster onto walls with lime based mortar as the new plaster 'could react' with the lime and he would not gaurantee the work. He suggested 'dob & dab' with plasterboard first and then just skim the surface.

Is there such a problem with plastering straight onto the walls - afterall alot of house renovations programmes I see on the TV state that 'they had to have all the rooms replastered etc' and I assume they did not line the wall first.

Any advise appreciated.

mikey52
Labourer
Labourer

Plastering Bare Walls

Post by mikey52 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:13 am

Oooopps!

Subject should read [b]Plastering Bare Walls[/b]?[color=blue][/color]

matt h
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by matt h » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:00 am

with lime mixes, definately can react wuth the plaster. I normally either use hard wall then plaster over after taking back to brick, or dryline over as your friend suggested, as it saves a lot of time and gives a good finish.If you want a mor rustic look then use one coat plaster. It bonds well but the finish is not as fine as mormal top coat or multifinish :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:46 pm