Plastering Brick walls Advise needed please
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jcv
Labourer
Labourer

Plastering Brick walls Advise needed please

by jcv » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Guys, looking for some advise, we have a room attached to the house ground floor it is double skinned brick walls but no cavity 3 of the walls are outside walls all sound , basically we had a plasterer out to plaster it for us he said he would need to put a sand and cement base coat on before the plaster , he did the sand and cement coat on the Saturday then came back the next morning to do the skim , after a week I started to get air line cracks all over the walls the plasterer told me this was a settling process , then I notice when pressing in certain areas I could ear a cracking sound , We got the plasterer out he said the areas with the crackerling sound had not stuck to the wall properly he told me he would chip away the bad bits and use hardwall on them areas and re skim , the problem is im a little confused its just when he first came out he said he could not use hardwall due to the walls being non cavity and outside walls ?? But now he can :?:

Would be grateful for all advise , Thank you

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:28 pm

Hardwall is suitable for many applications, the two main concerns would be continued moisture which will effect it's suitabillity, application to frozen areas and very warm areas. I can only assume that the fact your wall has no cavity has effected the choice of your plasterer as moisture could be a concern and has done the right thing if that be true. High suction walls need priming before application or they will not adhere to.
Is it the sand/cement render that has not stuck or the finish?
KB

jcv
Labourer
Labourer

by jcv » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:56 am

Hi, it is the sand and cement that did not stick ?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:32 pm

As I can not see it first hand and can only offer you my thoughts and oppions, I can assume two things high suction wall that would need priming first or PVA a has failed if used as this too can effect this outcome, you can tell the later if where render has fallen or failed to bond PVA will be still moist and you can normally smell it too.
KB

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:55 pm