plastering ceilings
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lewis
Labourer
Labourer

plastering ceilings

Post by lewis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:55 pm

HELP!
I need some advice on plastering. I have just mover into a house and need some plastering on the ceilings. The two bedrooms upstairs have polystyrene tiles which I am in the process of removing. Underneath this there is just plasterboard - the ceiling ahas never been plastered. Secondly I have a celingin in my lounge which measures 25ft x 13 ft which has a stippled artec to it which I also want covered. Again the the artex has been put straight over the plaster boards ( you can see the board joins).

The plasterer who has quoted me has said that the old plasterboards (probably about 20 years old) could not be plastered over as it is too dry and will suck out the moisture of the new plaster. He then suggested taking down the old boards (which are actually in good condition otherwise) and re-do the celings with new plaster board and then skim.

Downstairs, he said that there is a good chance that the plaster will not stick to the artex and may fall donw. Again suggesting to take donw boards and re-do celing with new ones before plastering. This sounds like an awful lot of work. Is this necessary?

ANy advice appreciated

lewis
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lewis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:55 pm

I need some advice on plastering. I have just mover into a house and need some plastering on the ceilings. The two bedrooms upstairs have polystyrene tiles which I am in the process of removing. Underneath this there is just plasterboard - the ceiling ahas never been plastered. Secondly I have a celingin in my lounge which measures 25ft x 13 ft which has a stippled artec to it which I also want covered. Again the the artex has been put straight over the plaster boards ( you can see the board joins).

The plasterer who has quoted me has said that the old plasterboards (probably about 20 years old) could not be plastered over as it is too dry and will suck out the moisture of the new plaster. He then suggested taking down the old boards (which are actually in good condition otherwise) and re-do the celings with new plaster board and then skim.

Downstairs, he said that there is a good chance that the plaster will not stick to the artex and may fall donw. Again suggesting to take donw boards and re-do celing with new ones before plastering. This sounds like an awful lot of work. Is this necessary?

neil1907
Labourer
Labourer

Post by neil1907 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:20 pm

hi,
i have been a plasterer for 15yrs so hope this helps.
in regards to what your plasterer said, in a way yes he may be right! if the upstairs ceiling are in fact that old they may be bowed and then yes i would suggest OVERBOARDING them for a flat finish, however if all there is is just fragments of adesive where the tiles used to be all he needs to do is apply a jointing tape at the joins and P.V.A the adesive fragments.as regards to downstairs i would agree because if you try to remove the artex it will damage the boards as there is no finish plaster under it. BUT AGAIN I THINK OVERBOARDING THEM ALL INSTEAD OF REPLACING WILL BE A BETTER OPTION IF POSSIBLE AS IT WILL BE LESS MESS AND COST.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:11 pm