Plastering: How should the ply be treated to ensure a good lasting finish?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Terry
Labourer
Labourer

Plastering: How should the ply be treated to ensure a good lasting finish?

by Terry » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:53 am

I have formed arches ussing 3mm. ply curved around a timber frame in each corner of a cavity wall which was previously knocked through to form an extension.
I am having a skim coat applied over the existing plaster and aws concerned that the plaster may not take to the ply.
How should the ply be treated to ensure a good lasting finish?
Please advise

Terry
Labourer
Labourer

by Terry » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:58 am

I have formed arches ussing 3mm. ply curved around a timber frame in each corner of a cavity wall which was previously knocked through to form an extension.
I am having a skim coat applied over the existing plaster and aws concerned that the plaster may not take to the ply.
Please advise

omulcol
Apprentice
Apprentice

by omulcol » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:17 pm

[quote="Terry"]I have formed arches ussing 3mm. ply curved around a timber frame in each corner of a cavity wall which was previously knocked through to form an extension.
Please advise[/quote]

There are two ways to tackle this problem.
First, is to staple EML ... or expanded metal lath over the ply and timber, and scratch coat over it using Carlite Bonding - then skim over with MultiFinish.

The second alternative is to apply two coats of neat PVA plastering adhesive over the timber - allowing the first to dry - applying the second coat immediately prior to skimming.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:31 pm