Plastering over a horrible splat effect textured ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

Plastering over a horrible splat effect textured ceiling

Post by The Riviera Kid » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:29 am

Hi folks,

On my massive to-do list is to rid this house of the horrible splattered texture on the ceilings (something like Googleing the image below).

"kentsurveys.com/asbestos%20in%20artex%20ceilings.JPG"

I have some (very lol) limited skimming experience on walls (well A wall lol), but I appreciate ceilings are a different ball game, and I'm just wondering the best way to go about it.

It's a 1990 build house, so I'd hope there's nothing more sinister than plain old plasterboard underneath. I'm guessing the plaster aint going to stick very well to this horrible stuff, but after paint stripping an entire wall last year (previous owners had painted gallons and gallons of thick silk emulsion on a fresh wall, then covered it badly with wallpaper when it started to flake off) I'm a bit loathe to do some time consuming stripping job.

Might it be better to just rip it off and start again with fresh plasterboard (could use it as an excuse to get some electrical/lighting work done at the same time)? This is probably beyond me (more from a time point of view than skills - I pick most things up quite easily), any ideas how much a pro might charge per room assuming I've already ripped the old ceiling off - to put up new plasterboard and skim? (based on 4m x 5m rooms)

Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:49 am

The Riviera Kid,
Knock off the peaks and re-plaster the ceiling that way there is no problem with the wall/ceiling joint.
S&F new plasterboard and skim £300+ per room.
end

danlynch1972
Labourer
Labourer

Skimming

Post by danlynch1972 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 am

I am a plasterer
A room that size (12ft x 15ft) i would be charging £385 to board and skim
You dont have to tear down the old ceilng. you can over board screwing through the old ceiling into the joists. its warmer too.
Further more there is a chance you dont need to board the ceiling at all. you cant be 100% sure of this but as a rule of thumb. Run your finger over the artex if you dont see any powder on your finger the chances are the artex is sealed enough to pva and skim over as it is.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:24 am