Plastering, slowing the going off period of multi finish pla
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Surrey Kraftwork
Labourer
Labourer

Plastering, slowing the going off period of multi finish pla

by Surrey Kraftwork » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:08 pm

I am expanding my plastering skills, I can plaster small rooms but would like to slow down or retard the drying prices of multi finish plaster so I can take on larger projects. Is there an additive I can add to the mix that wili extend the time the plaster takes to start going off.

Thanks

Briggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Briggy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:27 am

Hi, I personally can't think of one, just take the bull by the horns and go for it, if your not too confident don't take on more than one wall at a time at first until your speed is up, also get yourself a good sponge float (medium density) for plaster, this can help by bringing some fat out of the plaster, and trowel off, especially on an overskim, might help you if your struggling! Apart from that i suggest just hard work and sweat!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:31 pm

the only solution is to work faster! this will only come with time and experience. the more you do it the quicker you will become, sadly there are no shortcuts. as briggy says, just go for it - jump in at the deep end, you might surprise yourself.

rhysrhys303
Labourer
Labourer

Slowing down Multi-finish.

by rhysrhys303 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:10 pm

I shouldn't be giving people this tip but in this weather us spreads need as much help as possible. I'd been skimming for years before I found out about this stuff, "Cream of Tartar!!". Its what they use to make scones and can be found in most supermarket home baking sections. It comes in a pot normally next to the bicarbornate of soda and costs about a quid. I can't tell exactly how to gauge it but I normally use one pot between 5 bags of multi. Its not an exact science but half a pot in 1 bag and you'll be hanging around for ages!! After a while you'll get used to when and how to use it depending on how quick you are etc. I normally only use it on the first coat when doing big hits then knock up a straight one for second coating. This ain't the eighth wonder of the world you still have to work your nuts off but it does help us out!!

djwalker
Labourer
Labourer

retarding plaster

by djwalker » Mon May 19, 2008 7:23 pm

you could also chuck in a hand full of bonding or 2 , again not an exact science but it will slow it up for a while.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:46 pm