PLASTERING

Postby archard125 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:24 pm

I have just tried to apply a skim coat to my walls, but got air bubbles in the plaster. What am I doing wrong. I mixed thoroughly with clean tools, PVA'd walls, but as I applied skim it was just full of air bubbles.
archard125

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby slimplynth » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:20 am

Hi Arch, I skimmed the walls in my lounge last year.. was quite pleased with the results having never tried before. So I decided to go on a plastering course for 4 days. Learned quite a lot, well enough to do my own house. One thing I did realise i'd done wrong first time was mixing my plaster too fast and for too long. Apparently, this speeds up the drying time.

Have you added anything else other than multifinish & water.. washing up liquid, PVA? Two other things I've learned aren't necessary.
slimplynth

Postby andywatson » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:01 am

What you need to do is mix the plaster with water a little quicker and for a maxium of 4 minutes anything more will make it to dry = harder to get on walls and less time to play with it, when it comes to a later stage, I think if your looking at plastering big spaces a plastering course would be a great idea for you- DONT ADD ANYTHING TO THE MIX EXCEPTH FOR WATER AND PLASTER
andywatson

Postby josepi » Tue May 01, 2007 11:17 pm

tips on polishing plaster
josepi

Sort by
Order by