please help I have touched an asbestos roof!
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonhenry
Labourer
Labourer

please help I have touched an asbestos roof!

by simonhenry » Sun May 26, 2013 12:44 pm

I have an old garage roof with corrugated roof panels...I always thought asbestos is harmful if it is broken?  Or if you cut,drill through it etc

I have firstly taken out all the old moss with a scraper...i did damp it a  little first...then I  jetwashed it.  I now want to make this roof look new....hence paint it. The roof itself is in good condition.

I wore no gloves mask nothing...yes it looks very clean but talking to a mate at the pub when I mentioned it to him what a fantastic job I had done and what I was going to do next,he looked at me in a strangevway and said to becarefull as asbestos is harmfull.

Now I have done hours of research on the internet but its too late I think....I can not sleep and suffer saviour anxiety. I believe trying to improve this roof I may have done some great harm to myself.

To be honest I can not stop worrying.i Have stopped opening the Windows at the back and also am not allowing  my kids to play at the back garden. The garage is not part of the house but very close due to the extension I got done

I can not afford to replace the roof as I lost more then enough money with a builder who did a runner. All I am doing is picking all the work he left!

I would firstly appreciate your advise and help on my problem.I also would appreciate what I could do to finish this roof. I did go to my local DIY and he advised to put  waterproof pva then a good quality waterproof paint. I thought putting pva the paint wwould bubble in future?

Thank you for taking time reading my issues and I await in anticipation for advise and help

Simon

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: please help I have touched an asbestos roof!

by welsh brickie » Sun May 26, 2013 7:10 pm

before the 1960s the asbestos was more harmful, there are 2 types, the blue asbestos being the most harmful, its highly unlikely that your roof was made of this type as it was banned so the contamination will be minimal if any, don't worry about it.
Don't do anything else to the roof just leave it

simonhenry
Labourer
Labourer

by simonhenry » Sun May 26, 2013 8:20 pm

welsh brickie wrote:before the 1960s the asbestos was more harmful, there are 2 types, the blue asbestos being the most harmful, its highly unlikely that your roof was made of this type as it was banned so the contamination will be minimal if any, don't worry about it.
Don't do anything else to the roof just leave it

Thank you forthe reply..I think,because I have scraped it and jetwashed it although it looks.clean I really am worried and after looking onthe internet I believe sealing.it at the very least should be done. I feel the dust will flyaround.is there anything I could do please

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 am

spray a clear silicone solution on it

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 pm