Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
juralka
Labourer
Labourer

Please help!

by juralka » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi,

So here`s the story: have the glow worm combi boiler 24ci, installed in 2003, moved to the flat in 2008. Since day one had problem with water pressure, never higher than 0.7 bar.I live on the second floor ( top floor).

In Dec 2009 the plumber changed the valve(?) aroungd the pipes under the sink which I could open at times to increase pressure as the water filling device in the boiler itself wasn`t working.
For last 2 months had only lukewarm water for few seconds then turning cold, but heating working ok. Yesterday the plumber changed the heat exchanger, installed new water filling device and now I have very hot water but only at the kitchen tap, not hot water in the bath or shower and no heating either. The water pressure at the mains entry reads 0.5 bar. Is that related to the lack of hot water in the bathroom and no central heating? Could there be a leak in the internal pipework?
Please help!!!

Kasia

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Please help!

by plumbbob » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:09 pm

juralka wrote: Since day one had problem with water pressure, never higher than 0.7 bar.I live on the second floor ( top floor).

juralka wrote: The water pressure at the mains entry reads 0.5 bar.

I wonder if you are making a mistake here. How do you know the mains pressure is only 0.7 or 0.5 bar? Are you looking at the gauge on the front of the boiler because if you are, that only shows the pressure in the primary heating circuit and has no connection with the incoming mains water pressure. It is a separate circuit entirely.

Now I could accept that if your mains pressure IS actually low then you may not be able to fill the system above 0.7 bar, which is a problem really because it ought to be between 1.0 and 1.5 bar.

Seeing as the system has been drained, the failure of the heating may be due to an airlock especially likely if the pressure has fallen to 0.5 bar. It is possible the boiler won't fire at all if the pressure is this low. You need to increase it.

Why the kitchen hot tap is hot but the bathroom is not, is frankly a bit of a mystery. Are you sure???

NickGasSafe
Labourer
Labourer

Pressure..

by NickGasSafe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:55 pm

I've been here once before, I think you'd have noticed a leak inside your house by now, Try hanging (with tape) a plastic bag from the "copper pipe" running directly to outside your house from the boiler, Usually turned back to the wall with elbows, If you have a leak on the pressure relief valve you might not notice it as it'll leak outside, If you bag it and refill the system, in 24hrs the bag will tell you if your losing water...

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:34 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:11 am